Friday 11 July 2014

Introducing our new intern

Here's our lovely new Education intern, Hannah Eastwood, who is keen to introduce herself...

"Hello all, I just want to explain what I will be up to in the next few months. I am one of six trainee museum education and outreach officers in the HLF Skills for the Future Project. During the traineeship each of us will spend four months in three of the the following museums and collections: Ashmolean, Pitt Rivers, Oxford University Museum of Natural History, Museum of the History of Science, Joint Museums Office, and the Botanic Garden & Harcourt Arboretum.  This provides an opportunity to experience working with three diverse collections and with lots of different audiences.  My first placement is here at the Pitt Rivers Museum where I will be working for the next four months.

               Hannah prepares for the Cowley Road Carnival  © Pitt Rivers Museum



For the past year in my previous job, I supported the education team at the Ashmolean. In this role I was able to get a sound understanding of how an education department works to deliver educational programmes for all audiences. I supported the education officers and assisted with the bookings, finance, and general administration work. I applied for the HLF internship as I felt that I needed more experience of hands-on delivery and to be part of the creation of projects and resources. 

I hope the traineeship will help to give me the extra skills and experience needed to become a museum education officer and I am really looking forward to getting stuck in and being involved in the exciting projects at the Pitt Rivers." 

Hannah has only been with us for three weeks so far but she has already helped to run mask-making workshops at the Cowley Road Carnival, taught primary school children on their First Visit to the Museum and helped deliver an Under 5s workshop on Shadow Puppets.  We're loving having her as part of the team and look forward to sampling her infamous cake baking skills...




No comments:

Post a Comment